Thursday, August 28, 2014

Bathroom Finale!

Since we were replacing the vanity, we needed to put in a new floor since the flooring wasn't under the vanity.  I went back and forth of what I wanted since we had linoleum before. It wasn't that I didn't like our flooring before, but since I had to change it, I didn't know if I can find something I liked more.

I didn't like any of the linoleum they had at the store and since I was renovating the bathroom by myself, there was no way I was able to cut and put in tile, nor do I have the right tools.

Another choice I had was the self-adhesive vinyl squares.  I HATE them, but the ones that I did like (12"x24" tiles) were (of course!) not available in stores and I didn't have time to order online.  So while searching for vinyl tile squares that I "sort of" liked (30 minutes of walking in the SAME aisle was torture!), I realized I can grout tile!!! Yay!! I really wanted to do a happy dance in the store but I didn't think it was appropriate haha.  So I found tile that was a lighter color since I was painting the walls a dark gray and I got a light gray grout. Now, this is the first time I was tiling and grouting from scratch. So I was anxious!

Before


New tile! 

Adding the grout

Finished product! Don't forget to seal your grout! 


Paint on the walls, new vanity, fixtures up, and Voila!!! 


I'm so pleased with my DIY project! Overall, with curing time for the tub paint and grout, the bathroom took about 10 days.  And I even did things backwards (should have painted the tub last probably since I spray painted the fixtures in the shower...oops!) The only problem I really ran into is the the vanity was taller than my old one, so the faucet didn't reach the bottom pipe of the sink (yup those are REAL plumber terms ;-) so I had to get an extension pipe.  Can you believe I know what I'm able to find things on my own in Home Depot!?!?




No comments:

Post a Comment