Thursday, September 4, 2014

30 minute workouts..fit in that workout!


I have made a commitment, using this blog as my motivator, to work out 4 times a week.  This is week one...and I'm already struggling. It is now Thursday and I am only working out for the second time this week.  That means I will have to work out tomorrow and Saturday to get my 4 times in.  I feel like I have been making working out a job, instead of just enjoying what I love.

My goal was to workout 4 times per week, at least 30 minutes. So 30 minutes is what I did tonight.  I was engrossed in the TV. (yup one of those nights) and just didn't "feel like working out" (said in a whiny voice).  However, being able to workout while watching TV at home was amazing!

I used the Workout Trainer App by Skimble https://www.skimble.com/workouts  (it's available on the App Store and Google Play).  It has a free and paid version. I use the free version.  There is an abundance of different workouts ranging from 2-minute planks to 30 minute, 60 minutes+ workouts.  I've used the kickboxing, abs, yoga, and HIIT workouts on the app in the past.  Tonight I decided to try a Pilates workout, which was pretty good.  There were a few long rest breaks, but I used some of them to incorporate some abs and additional planks.  My only problem was my 170 pound dog trying to sit on my during the workout, but that has nothing to do with the app! At least it was a cute pain in the butt! I definitely think the app is worth checking out! 

Who can get mad when seeing this face interrupt your workout?! 

He reminded me of the Huffington Post video with Pets Interrupting!!

Here are few other apps that also have trainings/workouts you can do, but I haven't tried them to know what they are like: 
  • Daily Burn App (free lite version)
  • FitStar Personal trainer App (free lite version)
  • Yoga Studio App ($3.99)
  • Gain Fitness (free lite version)
  • JeFit Workout
In addition, I thought it would be nice to outline some 30 minute workouts that don't seem as "hard" but still give you a good workout! 

Harvard Medical School posted an article called "Calories burned in 30 minutes for people of 3 different weights".  Here is the article for all the information/activities, it even includes some professions! http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

Here are few examples based on a 125 pound person: 

  • Weight Lifting: 90 calories (general) vs. 180 (vigorous)
  • Running at 6 mph: 300 calories
  • Low Impact Aerobics: 165 calories
  • Circuit training: 240 calories
  • Dancing (slow, waltz, fox trot): 90 calories  <--I watched Dirty Dancing tonight so I'm all for this!!! 
  • Golf: 165 calories
  • Bowling: 90 calories
  • Swimming, general: 180 calories

OK, so some of these activities may seem like work to you, but there are so many things that you can do to incorporate into your workout to make it less boring! Here are some other workouts that may peak your interest if you want some routines to switch it up. 


I hope this gave you some ideas on how to switch up or add to your routine! 



**Disclaimer: I am NOT a professional trainer or by any means claim to be.  This article is based on my own personal experiences and what I find to help continue to motivate me.  Please speak to a medical professional to see what workouts are appropriate for you. **


Resources: 

No comments:

Post a Comment