Monday, October 13, 2014

Machine Embroidering on Crocheted Item: Success!









I bought a new sewing/embroidery machine two months ago and I haven't had too much time to play around with it.  My main thoughts behind getting the machine was to monogram towels.  In that process, I haven't found lettering that I really like for "S".  I think they all look like scribbles!

During the search for monogramming, my husband had this great idea to embroider on an ear warmer one of the races that we have completed.  So I ventured into crocheting an ear warmer for him that I was going to embroider "Gulf Beach 13.1" on, except, I made the headband too small.  It just fit me so perfectly though!! Perfect "mistake" right?! ;-)  That's when I decided to embroider "Roxbury 26.2" on it.  This marathon I completed last December in 15 degree, snowy weather.  It was such an awesome race that I signed up again!!! I want to make sure that I am nice and warm for this race and what better way than to show off the race name??

I've never embroidered on crochet and couldn't find much information about it so I treated it like it was a towel.  With towels, there is the concern that the needle will get caught on the material and pull, making it difficult to embroider.  That is when I found wonderful information on the web to use a water soluble stabilizer on top of the towel and a tear-away, or cut-away, stabilizer underneath.

I did the same thing with the crochet and it worked! Be careful not to pull your crochet too tight when putting it in the hoop, otherwise it will stretch and could pucker your work.

Happy crocheting and embroidering!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment